Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Senkaku sounds like an Allen word

Baseball is my religion. Night after summer night I watch my Cincinnati Reds, donning my cap just to watch them play on my computer screen while drinking a beer in my Reds jersey coolie. I have a big Reds pillow and a Reds fleece blanket on my bed, a Reds wall hanging, and several baseballs lying around the room.

Last night it was not baseball I watched with this kind of enthusiasm, but the debate between Jim Webb and George “Macaca” Allen. I put on my Jim Webb shirt under my Webb yard sign hanging on the wall and geared up for the event like it was game two or three of the World Series. Ah, yes, it was a sporting event to watch the two candidates spar, to see Mr. Macaca utter the names Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, and Ted Kennedy as if they were tantamount to Hitler, not once, but a couple of times. This obvious attempt to label Webb with the L word (the other L word) looked pretty ridiculous, especially considering the fact that Webb is a former Republican who was part of the Reagan administration, hardly the characteristics of that naughty, naughty word Liberal.

GMA looked oddly nervous at the start of the debate, rocking back and forth as uhs and pauses spilled from his mouth during the opening remarks. I thought it strange that a United States senator would be nervous in front of a crowd, but then again after all this one’s said and done in the past few weeks to blow a double digit lead, it is understandable that he would fear another blunder.

The best part of the night came when Webb blindsided GMA with a question about the Senkaku Islands. GA sure looked like what he calls macaca in his stuttering response “I’ll have to study the issue.” Paybacks for that port question to Webb the last time around.

I wish I could vote for Jim Webb, but I live in the undemocratic territory of DC, which Steven Colbert insists is not part of the United States since it is not a state. (Hilarious interview with Elanor Norton Holmes.) What Virginia does sometimes affects DC, however, given that Northern Virginia is a part of the DC Metro area, so I do feel at least marginally interested in this race as a neighbor, but my hyper enthusiasm stems from the fact that it will give the Dems the Senate if it goes to Webb.

Go Webb, beat Allen! Rah, rah, rah...

No comments:

Post a Comment