Friday, October 17, 2008

Barack the Vote

We get Springsteen and The National. They get...Ted Nugent?

I attended a GOTV rally on Fountain Square in Cincinnati, Ohio last night. The purpose was to get people on buses to the board of elections to vote (for Barack!)

This is my favorite non-U2 band, and for them to be 1. giving a free concert 2. in support of Barack Obama 3. in which I was in the front was simply awesome. To hear them, listen here. (I was at this show, too! The set list was almost the same as it was last night.)

I was disappointed in the number of people who hopped into the vans to vote. At the same time, there were places to be held! Being in the front, I wouldn't have left my spot to vote when I still had 18 days to do it. Fortunately, I've already voted, so I didn't have to worry about that.

Knowing a thing or two about Get on the bus!, I could have predicted a lower participation than the organizers expected. It takes awhile to get people motivated to do it, but I think they got the message last night. A lot of the crowd "promised" to vote tomorrow. Even if a quarter of them do, that's a heck of a lot of early votes for Obama! I'll be moving UC students next week like last week, but I am not looking forward to it. I am growing tired of the campaigning. Eighteen days feels like an eternity. Still, what must be done, must be done. We can't risk low turnout because people think it's in the bag.

But hey, I was not without enthusiasm last night. Quite the opposite.

I can't believe I got to be this close.





























No comments:

Post a Comment