Thursday, May 28, 2015

Pomegranate brats. Really.

The gas isn't turned on in our new place yet so the only thing we can cook with is the crock pot, which is great except when you get home at 7pm and you have to wait until at least 9pm to eat your dinner. I didn't think about it until too late last night so I couldn't prepare it then.

Still, it's a great way to cook, even if you are eating at Spanish dinner times. What I cooked tonight cost me $15 total and was enough for three people. I cooked brats, sliced in one inch pieces, in pomegranate molasses and topped it with a yogurt sauce. It was delicious.

First I cut up the brats - a whole pack of five - and put them into the crock pot. I used 1/4th of a cup of pomegranate molasses, 1/4th of a cup of olive oil, and two teaspoons each of lemon juice and apple cider vinegar. Then I threw in a teaspoon of grains of paradise, which is a kind of pepper that has a flavor similar to cardamom, a tablespoon of sumac (maybe more), a teaspoon of sage, and a teaspoon of dried pomegranate seeds, which taste like tart nuts.

After that I cut up a whole small onion, a whole large red pepper, and two cloves of garlic and threw them in the crock pot, putting on the lid and cooking on high for two hours. Oh, and I almost forgot a key ingredient - a cup of cantaloupe chunks. Yes, cantaloupe. It. Was. Awesome.

In the meantime, I combined a single serving sized container of Greek yogurt, one fourth of a small cucumber cut into very tiny pieces, a lot of sumac, a lot of black pepper, a drizzle of olive oil, and a little garlic salt, mixing them well and putting them in the fridge until it was time to serve.

I served it on tortilla but perhaps I should have used thin pita bread. Still, it was awesome.

Now I can't actually post this because COMCAST SUCKS and I can't load any pages even though we supposedly upgraded to 50 mbps speed when we used to have 20. Doesn't matter, I'm getting 6, just like at the old place when I paid for 20. Although sometimes that was 2. In case you didn't realize, 6 is not enough to load webpages.

WHAT ARE WE PAYING FOR, YOU CRIMINALS?

And all you anti-net neutrality idiots just want to hand total control over to these assholes? Let them screw us even more than they already do?

Well, at least dinner was good.


No comments:

Post a Comment