Friday, May 11, 2018

One more summer

I rent the bottom floor apartment of a row house with a front yard that is about 24' x 12' with an iris lined walkway that is another 6' across or so. There's another 10' x 2' space on the other side of the sidewalk with a cherry blossom tree squeezed into a patch surrounded by concrete and pavement. We live on the end of the block; an alley sits next to the house that has caused us a certain level of consternation. It's not just that utility and contractor trucks that are too large for an alley that was made when most people didn't even have cars frequently run into or over the yard - it's that they don't care one iota that people live in the building, often starting their work at 7:30am or being loud for hours at a time. There is a sharp right turn at the back of the house that most of them can't even make, though that doesn't stop them from trying. Many have hit the house itself.

To make matters worse, there is an empty lot across the alley that is too small to build anything on due to clearance issues. Alleys surround it on three sides. It is privately owned, or was, but the absentee owner owes so much in back taxes that no one can buy it, even though several neighbors would love to. It has, in my three years in the house, been an illegal auto repair shop, a parking lot, and a contractor base. It currently contains junk car that needs a clutch and an alternator that Chris bought when he had the motivation to work for himself back when he first started feeling better after his transplant surgery and seemed ready to make the most out of his second chance at life. Now I use it to store scrap wood for my various garden projects.

Our house is small; we have filled it to the max with life. It's too small for the both of us when I am working from home and he's working evenings and nights. It's much too small to entertain inside; we don't even have a dining table. I think the place is 600 or 700 square feet total. We were paying $1750 a month for this small space on Capitol Hill, but our landlord increased our rent by $300 on the new lease we just signed. Right now, DC has rent control laws for those who own more than four rental units, but the real estate companies are fighting that and will probably win, since individuals have no rights anymore in America. I rent from small owners because 1) I hate those soulless, massive apartment buildings and 2) until recently I did not have sufficient income or credit to move into one of those buildings, at least one that wasn't infested with roaches and mice. I've been priced out of every neighborhood I've lived in during my 15 years in Washington, which is why I've lived in eight places in those 15 years. I feel like we may eventually be priced out of this one, too.

I love our neighborhood. We know our neighbors and they like us. Except for the stupid triangle and 3:30pm when the kids get out of the school across the street, this is a quiet neighborhood. I wanted to buy the house four doors down after our neighbor died, but it hadn't been maintained since the 1950s and needed to be completely gutted. It sold to a house flipper for $450,000. They're nearly done with the work and the house just sold for $790,000. It's 1300 square feet. There's hardly even a living room. We would have been slaves to the bank for the rest of our lives had we purchased the house. There would have been no more trips to Europe, no more dining out, no more going to baseball games every couple of weeks, no more changing jobs when we were unhappy. That isn't life.

I don't know what's going to happen next year. I don't know if the project I'm working on will still be funded, if our landlords will give us another 17% increase or worse, if Chris will be healthy. Every time I've been happy in life it has been short-lived. It always comes to an end. I'm getting too old to change jobs and houses and lives every few years, but the things that make me happy don't pay the bills. They do for other people, but I have never been able to make it work.

I've decided to make this a summer to remember. Whatever happens next year is out of my control, so I'm going to enjoy the prosperous time while it lasts.

Our future putting green
Which brings me back to that tiny front yard. I've created a space that gives us not only another room, but a place to entertain. It's beautiful. I have flowers and fruits and vegetables and herbs living together in this tiny space that has become a neighborhood favorite. Right now, the irises are at peak bloom, the geraniums shine bright red next to spinach and lettuce, the potato plants have been gorgeous and will soon give us our first harvest. I have basil galore, and parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano, bay laurel, dill, cilantro, three kinds of mint, chives, eucalyptus, curry, and lavender. There are carrots, beets, three kinds of onions, mustard greens, peas, green beans, five kinds of peppers, zucchini, a lemon tree, a banana tree, and the stars of the garden - eight tomato plants. In bloom now are pansies, zinnias, gazania, sweet alyssum, lantanas (my favorites), dianthus, gypsophilia, marigolds, sage, larkspur, and cilantro. I will have milkweed, blue and red salvia, chamomile, hibiscus, daisies, mums, coreopsis, morning glories, and who knows what else?

I've built a vertical planter box and another planter for my zucchini. I built covers for the gas and electric meters and the trash bins. I built a bench and trellises. I built a planter for the space by the street. I've designed it for maximum privacy while still being open to neighbors. I designed it to live in.

Sundays will be Brunch with Chris and Cathie. I've started a Tiny Garden Supper Club. I want to have baseball watching nights and a neighborhood party. My little Weber grill will be working overtime. We encourage anyone to drop in. There will be food and drinks all summer. I will be cooking. You will be eating what you see in this tiny space. We can set up tables in the triangle on occasion.

Let the summer of fun begin.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing how you have made such a tiny space so big with love and joy and beauty. I'll be by around the first of August for a grilled cheeseburger and a garden salad from your garden. So proud of all you have accomplished��

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete