Thursday, September 20, 2018

On Packing - Six Nights and a Wakeup

That is everything but 3 blouses and 2 pants. Stuff on top is for carryon. 
I am an expert packer. Or I was.

There are people who make a living giving advice about packing. I think. At least the internet says so. I could probably do the same. Last year I went to Ireland for ten days with a roomy but regularly sized backpack. We try to do direct flights only now, so we can check bags, but back in the layover days, I refused to check a bag for fear of it not making the transfer. Not like airlines can't lose your checked bag on a direct flight, but the chance of your luggage not making it to your destination is reduced when you have a direct flight. The chance of losing it when you don't have a checked bag is zero.

For this trip, we will have a car for a lot of it, and we'll be in places for extended periods of time instead of packing up every couple of days, so since we won't have too many times when we have to lug stuff around, we're bringing the Big Red Suitcase. It'd be enough for both of us traveling to unpredictable European autumn weather for three weeks if it weren't for the poor people weight limit. Poor people only get 50 pounds per bag on Air France, while business and first class get 75. The moronic thing is that it is per bag and not per person, so even though it would be easier and lighter for the airline to deal with just one bag, we'll probably have to take two, since I am at 30 pounds right now and Chris hasn't put a thing in the bag yet.

The temperatures will be all over the place. It looks to be warmer in alpine Salzburg than it will be for Luxembourg, where it rains all the time so we just expect that to happen. I just hope it doesn't happen for the whole week, especially for our hike to Echternach, probably the MUDEC activity I am looking forward to the most.

That being said, this is one of the more challenging packs. Not only do we have to deal with the unpredictable weather, but we are going to several events where proper dress is necessary, including the MUDEC convocation and the opera in Vienna. So how does one start packing for such conditions?

The first thing I do is count how many days I will be in one place. We will be in Luxembourg for parts of six days and Salzburg only five, so six is the total number of outfit combos you need. That means six shirts of some sort. You never need more than three pairs of pants.

But...what about the weather? What if it is 70 degrees during the day and 48 at night, as the extended forecast for Salzburg shows? What about walking around balmy Paris? Should you take a pair of shorts?

Layers. Layers are everything.

So what have I decided?

Five four thin sweaters, one which is just a little thicker than the rest. Three of the sweaters have made multiple trips across the Atlantic Ocean. They pack small and are perfect for travel. One is new but similar.

Three pairs of pants, plus the ones worn on the plane. One or two pairs of jeans for touring, one for special events, and another pair of casuals that can be worn in various circumstances.

One hoodie. That will be my Capitals one, since we plan on going to a hockey game in Salzburg and because I need to bring one really warm thing. That I will bring on the plane since planes are usually cold and it's quite bulky.

One rain jacket. I just bought a couple for Chris and I. They are lightweight jackets that will fit easily into a day bag. I've done without a rain jacket for years but because of the hike, I am intent on staying as comfortable as possible in the event of miserable weather. I even bought one of those microfiber travel/camping towels for this event. I am ready. I think.

One jacket for cooler nighttime temps.

Two t-shirts. For wandering around in 70 degree sunny weather. Or maybe three. Hmm...such unpredictable temperatures...No, two, because of the weight limit. Oh, well, I'll be getting on the plane in 80 degree weather, so there's the third.

Two long sleeve shirts that can be worn under any of the sweaters or just by themselves.

Three long sleeve blouses for events where decent clothing is necessary, including one nicer outfit for the opera and the convocation.

Shoes? The ones you wear on the plane, which are your walking shoes, the nice ones for the opera and the convocation, and a pair of boots for the hike. Although now I'm thinking just the walking shoes for the hike, and hope they don't get muddy.

One pair of long johns. I get cold easily, and nighttime temps may dip below 50 degrees.

One skull cap. Just in case.

Sleepwear. You can wear the same thing for 19 days and not get cooties.

That seems like a lot.

Here's a big secret about packing: if you ever find you need a type of clothing you don't have, you can always buy it on your trip. And if for some reason you need to wash things, guess what? There are laundry facilities in Europe! But don't be so damn prissy. In the end, you'll wear everything only three or four times.

Other things going into the bag:

Spices for our brunch with my Austrian friend, a bottle of Frank's Red Hot Sauce, a tiny jar of locally made jam, and some locally roasted coffee that I haven't purchased yet. Oh, yeah, and the requisite toiletries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment