Sunday, December 6, 2020

How to Soup, Part 2: Turkey Noodle with Ginger and Apples

This soup had to be made because that's what you do when you have a Thanksgiving turkey carcass. Turkey or chicken noodle soup is pretty straightforward; I don't stray too much from your standard versions. One variation I love is roasted garlic chicken noodle, where you simply roast a head of garlic, mash the cloves into a paste, and mix it into the soup.

My stuff always has a bite. Occassionally I will make it really spicy, but for this turkey noodle soup, the cayenne and red pepper flakes are perfectly adequate.

I had made so much broth that lifting the pan to pour it through a cheesecloth was too difficult, so I just used a slotted spoon to skim the fat and the old rosemary leaves and tongs to pull out the bones and branches. I ended up simmering the broth for two hours before starting on the soup.

Here are the ingredients, minus the turkey meat.


I had an apple that was going bad and some mushrooms that needed to be used, so into the pot they went. Half an onion, a lot of ginger, another two carrots, about a cup of frozen green peas, a box of rotini, fresh chopped rosemary, garlic powder, cayenne, chili flakes, and salt are the remaining ingredients.


I put the veggies, noodles, and spices in first (minus the rosemary) and let them simmer for an hour. Then I put the turkey meat in and the rosemary, let it cook for 20 minutes, and had my first bowl of it.


It's yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment