Thursday, August 11, 2005

This world makes me tired

LAGOS, Nigeria - It was a typical husband-wife argument. She wanted to visit her parents. He wanted her to stay home.

So they settled it in what some here say is an all-too-typical fashion, Rosalynn Isimeto-Osibuamhe recalled of the incident in December 2001. Her husband, Emmanuel, followed her out the door. Then he beat her unconscious, she says, and left her lying in the street near their apartment.
Domestic violence is endemic in Africa. Submission to the man is a social requirement. In some countries, half of the women's population is abused.
When Ms. Isimeto-Osibuamhe eventually sought help, others only seemed to support her husband's view. She went to the police. "They told me I am not a small girl," she recalled. "If I don't want to be married, I should get divorced."

She told her father-in-law. He advised her that "beating is normal."

She told her local pastor, who counseled her that "I shouldn't make him so angry," telling her "whatever my husband says, I should submit."
This view is widespread in the US as well. Ann Coulter champions it (that Adam's Apple she has explains a lot.) I will be labelled feminazi by the white-male dominated right for condemning this.

No comments:

Post a Comment