Friday, March 30, 2007

Smell the roses

Springtime in Washington is beautiful. Right now, the dogwood trees are out in full bloom and I can't help but to snap a ton of photos on a daily basis. I thought I'd post a few of them here to show how Washington is not as bad as my rant stated the other day. It sure is a gorgeous day today, though it could be about five degrees warmer for more comfort. The mercury is gradually rising, so in about an hour I will not be able

to contain my restless desire to be outside. I freed myself for several hours this week, spending time working outside, where not only did I get a lot of work done, but I also have a nice tan going on. If I worked for some corporation, I am sure my escapes would not be tolerated. But I don't, and after a week of going outside, I am feeling less like I am incarcerated and more like I have some control over

my life. It makes my productivity shoot through the roof, and the quality of my work goes up, too.

My point is this: whoever wrote the rules on how office life should be run was a moron. People are not machines. We've all been cursed with having to work to survive, but why not make the most of life at the same time? I actually enjoyed work this week because I was doing something I truly love - sitting in the sunshine, my eyes full of wonder at the color and light that surrounded me. The world is a pretty shitty place, but life is a beautiful thing. We just need to step back, take a deep breath, and appreciate the little things that make it all bearable every once in awhile.
___

No comments:

Post a Comment