Thursday, November 24, 2016

Medina Jdida, Ciudad Nueva, Ville Nouvelle, Still Old

There are two historic parts of the city – the old city, which is Moorish and dates back to the 15th century, and the “new” city established by the Spanish. Here is part of the new city. I love how all the buildings are white with green trim.





Royal Palace















































There is a Catholic Church on the main circle of the new city, so after lunch, we went to look at it. It was locked, but as we were about to leave, a man with a key arrived so we asked to look inside. We discovered it was being renovated. He encouraged us to look around. After, I asked him where I could give a small donation to the church and he took me to see a man who looks after the church – I couldn’t quite tell what he did, but we chatted for a bit and I met some refugees the church was helping. I felt embarrassed by the smallness of my donation, but he was grateful all the same.

 






















We returned to the hotel and crashed. I slept two hours. I don’t think we are going to go back out tonight; it’s a little after 8pm and I am trying to upload some photos but it is taking forever, which is why I am not posting these writeups when I’d like.

No comments:

Post a Comment