Monday, November 11, 2019

NZ Arrival

We stayed in a place near the stadium where U2 would be playing. After dropping my bags and meeting strangers who would become friends, I went wandering. I wanted to get to the city center but wasn't entirely sure of how to get there. I didn't care. After twenty hours of flying, I needed the walk. 

And I walked. And I marveled at people's gardens as I do even in DC, only here you could see things like wild nasturtiums, flowering banana trees, and plants I have never seen before. It was spectacular.



Mt. Smart Stadium view from our house





We have bristle brush trees in DC as well

nasturtiums in the wild
Eventually I wandered to a Metro stop and got on the train. I freaked out because my bank card didn't work; fortunately I had gotten some cash at the airport as I always do and was able to buy a ticket. (Turns out you just have to press credit instead of checking account in New Zealand, but it was a panic moment.) When we arrived at the station, I bought a Metro card, which is exactly like the DC Metro - $10 for the card, plus you add money to it for your trips. I find that recently I have a desire to collect metro cards from other countries. Some people do spoons or shot glasses. I do public transport cards. LOL

I exited the station on Quay Street because I needed to see the water. Much of the waterfront is under "construction." More like destruction. It was a mess.

Auckland is a city. I could have been in Milwaukee, Minneapolis, or Des Moines, only there are tropical flowers, palm trees, and drivers driving on the other side of the road.






I don't know anything about the city yet, really. I am not sure what is fueling the cranes, a sign of an economic boom. But they were everywhere.

But I got past the construction and found the port from where the ferries depart.






Then I got to the marina area.












eat and drink here

selfie


dregging

art is a broken toilet





fish market






lunch - snapper skewers with soy ginger broth

posing
Then we started drinking. It was day time. Then it was evening. Then it was night. I lost my wallet with my passport and all my money at one point. Julie called the bar and they had it. Minor miracle number two of the trip. I won't say any more about that. LOL.

It was a good first day in New Zealand.



a blurry volcano






No comments:

Post a Comment