Thursday, November 21, 2019

Walk to the Sulfur Water

And then I was off, hardly noticing that I was driving on the wrong side of the road until it came time to use the turn signal and I kept flipping on the windshield wipers instead. The two hour drive to Rotorua was smooth except for about a ten minute downpour when I couldn't see a thing. The rain mostly held off until I arrived at my destination, when the skies opened up. Everything I was going to do in Rotorua was outdoors. This was too much rain to be out.

Eventually, though, it stopped, so I went to the sulfur lake. The whole town pretty much smelled like sulfur. Sulfur Point is a wildlife sanctuary with a nature trail that is part of the bigger Lake Rotorua. My hotel was pretty close to the start of it, so with rain gear on I trekked over, past boiling pools to the start of the trail.

boiling water

first glimpse of the lake

if only you could hear the sounds of the gulls and smell the sulfur


they were soooo loud

seagull renaissance painting

the rotorua museum, closed because not structural sound



the nature trail










trees charred by sulfur










sulfur destroying the fence



After Sulfur Point, the lake becomes a little more normal looking, with plenty of birds.






black swan


bird party







i call this one "Wind"






The walk was a good hour, and well worth it. What a weird place.

No comments:

Post a Comment