Tuesday, September 19, 2006

You can't spell America without "me" and "I" (3)

I've had difficulty sleeping for the past few days, rendering me extremely tired in the mornings, but this morning, fatigue got the best of me. As I was walking out the door to the steps to the sidewalk, I tripped, tumbling down three concrete stairs to the sidewalk below it. Now, if you've ever bit it while walking down a sidewalk, you know it can sting hitting the ground - sometimes people even break bones doing that - but when you tumble down three concrete stairs, well, it really hurts. (I'm not a clutz. (Proof: Most saves #2) A lack of sleep and a preoccupation with what's on my mind happened to get the best of me at that moment.) I laid on my back dazed for awhile, as I had hit my head.

I thought I had broken my wrist initially, but luckily I did not, although I wouldn't be surprised if a bone in my hand has a small fracture. I also landed directly on my left knee and twisted in such a way that I pulled something in my back and scraped my hip and right shin. Yeah, I fell that hard.

A woman who had just walked past my house looked behind her to see what had happened and then just kept walking. Truth is, I could have used some help at that point, but she just kept right on going. I nearly called out something to her but couldn't get my mouth to say anything. Now I say "damn you, selfish bitch" to her in my head. It was one of the rudest direct actions (or inactions) towards me I have ever encountered. I needed help getting to my feet, I really did. It took quite awhile for me to stand up.

I limped to the corner to catch a bus, only my head started to do strange things. I guess I was blacking out, but I fought it. I stood on that corner unable to see anything for at least thirty seconds, maybe a minute, and with my head still foggy, I crossed the street and caught the bus. (Unfortunately, I caught the dreadlocked driver who smells like pot, and the bus ride was characterized by slamming on brakes and honking the horn far too often. Every bump and every sudden stop made my body ache worse.)

That was an hour and a half ago, but I still feel like I could black out. I also still can't believe that woman just kept on walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment