Saturday, October 8, 2005

Today's inane observation

Why is it that everytime there's a rain delay in a network-televised baseball game, M*A*S*H is put on television? Today, the Angels-Yanks game was postponed, and Fox has played 3.5 straight hours of the show while waiting for the Ass-tros-Braves game. (Actually, I hate the Braves more than the Ass-tros- I guess as equally as I hate the Yankees.) Go Angels.

You know, until this year, I don't think I had ever seen a full episode of M*A*S*H, but for some reason this season, I watched some of the episodes. There's some powerful stuff in that show, showing humor as a means to deal with the atrocities of war... I remember one episode where I actually had a tear thinking about the big picture. It's sad we learned nothing from the first battle of the Cold War- Korea.

UPDATE: I am updating this post based on a typo I made in the original post, substituting Vietnam for Korea. I was thinking about how fighting ideologies rather than enemies really make victory impossible. And we are doing it again when we fight Islamo-fascism, or whatever Bushie chooses to call it today. Communism isn't dead. It's thriving in China. And Russia isn't exactly the bastion for democracy. In fact, one could argue that the USSR under Gorbechev was more democratic than Russia today, what with opposition to Putin sitting in prison because he had a chance to defeat Putin and his powermongering.

I find myself rooting for the Ass-tros for the first time in my life.

Damn rain. I wanted to see Juan Rivera! Sigh... tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment