Tuesday, September 4, 2007

I'm going to Bulgaria

I'm sick of office life and sick of just trying to scrape by because the cost of living is outrageous in DC. I've been working at the same organization for four years and I am bored. I miss Europe. I'm going to Bulgaria.

Why Bulgaria? Because it became a member of the EU this year, and it won't be too long before it goes the way of Ireland - a prosperous, over-priced haven for corporatists and tourists. Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration, but you get the point. It's the last place in Europe that an adventurer can go to get away from the hoards of obnoxious American college students, in my opinion. I know absolutely nothing about it. Oh, and there's that whole "Why the heck are you going to Bulgaria factor?" that will come out of the mouths of everyone I know. Ha, ha! What a weirdo!

I'm aiming for staying for a month in Veliko Tarnovo, an old imperial city dating back to the times when Bulgaria mattered. Then I plan on staying for a couple of weeks at one of the many monasteries in the region - seclusion and all. I need to rediscover my soul, or something like that. After that I'm going to try to spend some time visiting friends in Ukraine, Czech Republic, Austria, and Luxembourg. Who knows what will come of the trip?

How can I afford it? The truth is, I can't, really. I will have a few thousand dollars to cover airfare, train tickets, accommodation, and food for three months. Fortunately, the cost of living in Bulgaria means you can actually afford to live there. That, and I'm not planning on doing much spending on "worldly things," as I am going there to do some reflection and try to figure out just where I am going with my life. Then I'll return from my vacation refreshed, focused, and ready to start another four year period of office life!

I can't believe I am just going to up and leave, but I am. I just wish I had the dough to get the plane ticket right now so I would not be able to change my mind. I'm not going to! I have to get away from this office!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment