Monday, February 20, 2006

Ice dancing is not a sport (and other Olympic notes because I'm not in the mood for political bickering)

It's not. Figure skaters are some of the most incredible atheletes, but ice dancing is simply pomp and circumstance.

Why is NBC using Torino instead of the English Turin? This is fine with me. I've never been a fan of calling a place by anything other than its real name, but if we are going to use Torino, we also need to use Roma, Firenze, and Venezia. WaPo is properly using Turin, so not everyone is trying to sound bellisimo.

Also, why is NBC using bobsleigh for bobsled?

Why is curling becoming so popular?

OvechkinMen's hockey restarts Wednesday, perhaps the most exciting sport in the entire winter Olympics (I know that's not saying much.) I'm rooting for Ovechkin to make a show. It's strange how things change, how at one time Olympic hockey was symbolic of the Cold War and now we are free to say we want a Russian to do well. (What's that clicking in my phone?)

Finally, I'm glad Bode Miller isn't getting any medals. This year's Team USA is full of arrogant jerks like him, Shani Davis, and Lindsey Jacobellis.

No comments:

Post a Comment