Monday, February 27, 2006

My country, 'tis o' thee

Dublin riotsDear America,

What is wrong with you? I read your newspapers every day, our newspapers, in an effort to keep up with the world, yet they fail me time and time again. You know how I learned about the riots in Dublin? From Irish bloggers like the Saint and Fiona, NOT American newspapers. Sure, when I did a Google search for "Dublin riots," I found a WaPo article about it on the third page of searching, but it had been buried somewhere in cyberspace and had not been on the Wapo homepage. What's the matter? Can you not deal with the fact that IRA scum don't wear headscarves and speak Arabic? Are they somehow "better" in your eyes because they are white and speak English?

When I see O'Connell Street torn up like this, it really hits me, since I feel the city is my spirtual home. (I would live there if I could just get a work permit. Or a book deal. Or a hot Irish husband.) But more importantly, it shows that Republican and Unionist scum still have the potential to wreak havoc on the island. Thank god they are in the minority.

Photo HT: Saint

No comments:

Post a Comment