Sunday, March 5, 2006

And the award goes to...who cares?

Sometimes I wonder if I am the only one in the world who doesn't care about the Oscars. Is this true? This is the fakest night of the year in human interaction, a night of self-congratulations and arrogance. I used to be a pretty big film fan until I grew tired of the same old crap that Hollywood has been producing. I haven't seen a single movie this year, although I wouldn't mind seeing Munich, Syriana, or Good Night and Good Luck, and I've only seen two films that have come out in the past three years: Hotel Rwanda and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, two excellent films that I do not hesitate to recommend.

WaPo had a decent article on the social issue aspect of this year's Oscars. It is an interesting topic to ponder - how much influence do films have on public opinion? Sadly, probably not much. The problem is that the people who need to see these films the most are the ones who don't watch them, instead choosing such plebian flicks as Deuce Bigalow and Dirty Love, which, by the way, earned a few Razzies this year. So while Munich is a far cry from the "Israelis are always the good guys" attitude that the flagwavers have, they won't learn this because they haven't gone out to see it.

For the record, I did try to see it a couple of times, but no close theaters were showing it in the places I was. Once I went to Dupont Circle to see it, but they were showing Brokeback Mountain five hundred times a day. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

I'm just going to sit back, listen to the Arctic Monkeys, and read a book. Maybe I'll pick up Catcher in the Rye since tonight is Phony Night...

No comments:

Post a Comment