Sunday, April 26, 2015

Barcelona - Sagrada Familia, the definition of gaudy Part 1

We stayed out so late on day 2 that we missed our reservation to get into Sagrada Familia. But did I mention how nice the people of Barcelona are? They let us in anyway, two hours late.

I thought this was going to be something beautiful. It was something I'd wanted to see since I first learned about it at the 1992 Olympics. Construction of the church began in 1882 and it is still ongoing.

I never guessed I'd be going to see a work of Dr. Seuss.


Architect Antoni Gaudi died in 1926 with less than a quarter of the church constructed. Thanks to the Spanish civil war and a host of other issues, construction only reached the halfway point in 2010. Subsequent architects interpreted the plans in various ways, none more controversial than Josep Subirachs, whose vision is more like a nightmare. Or Willy Wonka. They say Barcelona citizens are divided over the church. Quite frankly, I don't see how anyone can like this thing. All I can say is that Chris and I had a blast there - making fun of everything.




The square figures are Subirachs's work









The floor to the entrance


The interior is as ugly as the outside




 











No comments:

Post a Comment