Sunday, July 24, 2005

Who cares about Arabs?

When I returned from the beach in time to see Cordero get his 34th save last night, I watched the Fox local news broadcast following the game. I had gotten word that there had been a bombing in Egypt that killed at least 75 people, so I wanted to get the scoop on the story. The lead story was about the power outages in DC due to storms we had while I was gone. The next several stories talked about the usual homicides and missing people around the DC area. There were some other unforgettable stories before the first bit of seemingly real news was broadcast- a bit about how cops had shot a Brazilian guy in the UK because they mistakenly thought he was connected to the London bombings. That was followed by some lame interview with a British guy who was visiting DC this week and who had been in London, where he LIVES, at the time of the bombing. This is NOT news, people. Anyway, I assumed that since the news broadcast was halfway over and they were showing this type of lame interview that the bombings in Egypt had happened Friday. Then, they showed the footage.

The death toll was at 88 people last night, but they couldn't be bothered with putting it as a lead story. A few possibilities crossed my mind as to why it wasn't. First, they were Arabs, and this country is so racist that it doesn't care about the fact that Arabs were killed (this is logical because most Bush supporters think that all Arabs are terrorists, so why should we care if they were killed?) Then I thought, well, Fox thinks they are hurting the War on Terror(TM) by showing Arabs affected by terrorism. Then I realized that both were the reason and then I felt sick.

Rightwing War on Terror(TM) tactics lead to the deaths of innocent people. The paranoia is so high that innocent victims are being shot to death by police and rightwingers are saying oh well, there's probably some connection even though the guys is BRAZILIAN. Dumbasses probably couldn't point to Brazil on a map anyway.

The London bombings happened weeks ago, yet they still were reported on before the news of the deaths of 88 people by the hands of the same monsters. Pathetic. People of Egypt, I send my condolences and hopes you will heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment